Care for High-Risk Pregnancy in Las Vegas, Nevada
A high-risk pregnancy means the baby or the mother has an increased chance of medical complications before birth. Some women with high-risk pregnancies deliver without any problems, with neither mother nor child experiencing any issues. Other high-risk pregnancies require special labor and delivery services, postnatal care, and may involve serious threats to the health of the child, mother, or both.
Signs of a High-Risk Pregnancy
The signs of high-risk pregnancy vary and depend on what’s causing the risk or complications. Common symptoms of high-risk pregnancy include:
- Abnormal fetal growth
- High blood pressure
- High blood sugar
What Causes High-Risk Pregnancy?
Risk factors for pregnancy complications include:
- Age – Teenagers and women older than 35 are more likely to have a high-risk pregnancy; this is especially true for first-time moms older than 35
- Certain health conditions, including high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid disease, kidney disease, obesity, HIV, epilepsy, anemia, and autoimmune diseases (such as lupus or multiple sclerosis)
- Preeclampsia and eclampsia (high blood pressure that develops during pregnancy)
- Gestational diabetes (diabetes that starts during pregnancy)
- Alcohol or drug use
- Pregnancy with more than one baby at a time (multiple gestation)
Preventing and treating high-risk pregnancy depends on what has caused it. Women who have pre-existing medical conditions should work with their doctors to keep those conditions under control.
A woman who drinks alcohol, smokes, or uses illegal drugs can decrease the risk to her pregnancy by avoiding these substances.
Women who develop risk factors during their pregnancies — such as preeclampsia — should follow their prescribed treatment plan. Maintaining your overall health can also decrease your risk of problems during pregnancy, no matter your age.
Regular prenatal care is essential for women with high-risk pregnancies. It may include treatment by multiple healthcare providers and careful monitoring. You can trust in the care you’ll receive at our San Martín Birth Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Take a virtual tour to learn more about our services today.
Interested in Exploring Our San Martín Birth Center?
We understand that you have options when choosing a doctor and hospital for your pregnancy journey, so we’d love to show you around our San Martín Birth Center and answer any of your questions. Together, we can help you make this once-in-a-lifetime experience as special as it deserves to be.Take a Virtual Tour