Maternal Care That Keeps You Safe and Healthy
At San Martín Hospital, we are committed to keeping you and your baby healthy throughout your pregnancy and the labor and delivery process. That’s why we offer specialized care to women with maternal conditions in Las Vegas, NV. If you have complications before or during labor and delivery, you can trust in the team at our San Martín Birth Center.
Common complications during pregnancy include:
- Gestational diabetes. Consistently high blood sugar during pregnancy.
- Premature rupture of membranes. The release of amniotic fluid from the sac protecting the baby (water breaking) before the end of pregnancy.
- Cervical incompetence. The cervix opens before the end of pregnancy.
- Mullerian abnormalities. Issues with the uterus and vagina that can cause problems with pregnancy and conception.
- Isoimmunization. Conditions resulting from blood type differences in the mother and baby — if an Rh-negative mother is pregnant with an Rh-positive baby.
- Preeclampsia. A potentially dangerous pregnancy complication marked by high blood pressure.
- Multiple gestation. Pregnancy with more than one baby, such as twins, triplets, and quadruplets.
As part of our dedication to you and your baby, St. Rose Dominican is proud to be the only Children’s Miracle Network Hospital in the region, advancing medical research and community awareness of children’s health issues.
Maternal Health Care Problems:The Causes & Signs
Some maternal conditions, such as Mullerian abnormalities, are congenital, meaning they are present since birth. Other possible causes of maternal conditions include infection, genetic inheritance, and injury. In many cases, the causes of maternal conditions are not known.
The symptoms of maternal conditions depend on the specific condition and vary greatly. At San Martín Hospital, our doctors carefully assess the health of pregnant women, taking note of any history of medical issues and signs of problems.
If your healthcare provider notices any signs of maternal conditions, such as unusual fetal development, high blood pressure, or high blood sugar levels, he or she will likely order additional tests to rule out or confirm a medical diagnosis.
Treatment To Improve Maternal Health at San Martín Hospital
Regular pregnancy checkups, screenings, and scans can help prevent some maternal conditions. In some instances, a condition may develop despite you and your healthcare provider’s best efforts.
At each pregnancy care visit, your doctor checks your health. Your doctor also carefully monitors your baby’s development and health status and will intervene if necessary.
Good pregnancy care can identify most maternal conditions. Proper treatment of high-risk pregnancies can increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy and birth and prevent most serious complications.
Interested in Exploring Our San Martín Birth Center?
We understand that you have options when choosing a doctor and hospital for your pregnancy journey, so we’d love to show you around our San Martín Hospital and answer any of your questions. Together, we can help you make this once-in-a-lifetime experience as special as it deserves to be.Take a Virtual Tour
Prepare for Childbirth
Our childbirth preparation classes will get you ready for the arrival of the newest member of your family.
Start off Right With Baby Basics
Prepare for the newest member of your family by learning the basics of baby care. Spouses are welcome to attend.
All About Breastfeeding
Our lactation staff will provide you with all the information you need to begin nursing and prepare for any challenges that may come up.